[ home / rules / faq ] [ overboard / sfw / alt ] [ leftypol / siberia / hobby / tech / edu / games / anime / music / draw / AKM ] [ meta / roulette ] [ cytube / git ] [ GET / ref / marx / booru / zine ]

/hobby/ - Hobby

"Our hands pass down the skills of the last generation to the next"
Name
Email
Subject
Comment
Flag
File
Embed
Password (For file deletion.)

Join our Matrix Chat <=> IRC: #leftypol on Rizon


File: 1662255435366.jpg (191.29 KB, 1920x1080, 494093865782.jpg)

 No.28486[Last 50 Posts]

Post general thoughts, comments and marxist or any analysis on the show.

Ep 1 and 2 is out, Ep 3 comes out today.

Never seen GoT and enjoying the show so far, decent political intrigue so far.

 No.28488

>>28486
Feels a bit cheap to me, some of the character stuff is weak, and Matt Smith as the evil tyrant prince is distracting.

 No.28489

>marxist analysis
uh… HBO is making it because they want money.

IDK if you could say it has any content (so far) that is notably meant to function as bourgeois propaganda. They are already doing pretty basic stuff about how in these times nobody cared about women's wellbeing or autonomy. If you know where things are going (it's based on a book) then it's possibly going to call into question girlboss narratives, which might leave a sour taste in some people's mouths. People didn't like how that went in GoT although it was made much worse by the terrible and rushed execution.

So far nobody's really questioning the legitimacy of Targaryen rule even though almost everybody in GoT took it for granted that they were bad and that overthrowing them was a good thing. It feels weird to be getting their perspective now, when other than Daenerys they were pretty universally hated in within the setting.

 No.28503

>>28488

the evil prince shit apparently from what I've read and heard is that Matt's character will change and is a Grey character rather than entirely evil but we're yet to see that I guess, to me it seems like Dameon and Corlys are trying to stage some bourgeois revolution in the favour due to perceived "injustice" towards them feeling owed there power

 No.28504

>>28489
yeah and they'll certainly get that money, already renwed for a season 2.

Hopefully we get to see other perspectives on the targaryens, we have gotten some outside perspective but that's only from Corlys but he's still in the kings inner circle so maybe not an entire outside perspective but an alternative one, also I read apparently that the king is supposedly loved by the peasantry but he's doing fuck all apart from festivities for the upper classes like Corlys stated

 No.28513

So how is this diff from s8 of G
got? Have those writers beenaxed and the original ones brought on or will this be shit too?

 No.28519

>>28504
> yeah and they'll certainly get that money, already renwed for a season 2.
Yeah they had 10 million views for each of the first 2 episodes. That's not even counting late streams or anything I don't think. As long as they don't fuck up those numbers should be going up as word of mouth gets around that the new Thrones is good.

>>28513
Dumb and Dumber (showrunners for GoT) nuked their own careers with that shit. This series was originally developed by GRRM, the author of the books, and the show is being run by completely different people. HBO, GRRM, the cast, and literally everybody else wanted GoT to last longer than it did. D&D cut it off abruptly at 8 seasons because Disney offered to give them a Star Wars trilogy. HBO should have probably replaced them with people who wanted to make the show but trusted their vision or whatever so they wrapped everything up too quickly and nothing made any sense.

 No.28520

>>28503
>Matt's character will change and is a Grey character rather than entirely evil
literally everyone in GRRMiverse

 No.28521

>>28520
People forget that Jaime Lannister's establishing character moment is attempting to murder a child by pushing him out of a tower.

 No.28537

new lotr and got are pretty mid so far. I enjoy lotr more because i like middle earth more but the dialogue is definitely worse in that show.

>>28519
the show was pretty much garbage after season 4, getting worse with each season. I quit in season 7 because I already thought it was unwatchable (really season 6 was a low point) at that point. So the whole season 8 ruined the show meme never made sense.

GRRMs history is too riddled with great man theory, feels pretty nonsensical that you would have an ecclesiastic order try to overthrow the throne - or some targaryen invent bourgeois notions of freedom because slavery is immoral. I actually think GRRM is kind of a hack in his world building.

 No.28538

>>28537
granted this is only from watching the show, unlike lotr i haven't read the books - I tried but I thought the prose was shitty - so some of these complaints may be more from its translation to an HBO show rather than in the source. Like I've heard Daenerys is less of a mary sue in the books.

 No.28541

>>28537
>the show was pretty much garbage after season 4
IMO the show got consistently worse each season. It's just that the ending was the worst they did and it seemed like they intentionally ruined all the major characters.
>I actually think GRRM is kind of a hack in his world building.
Not an especially hot take, but fans usually don't like the series for its worldbuilding. A lot of the setting is just ripped off historical events, and it's supposed to be mostly mundane with not a lot of magic or fantastical elements.

>>28538
>Like I've heard Daenerys is less of a mary sue in the books.
Yes, the show arguably fumbled her entire character by making her too likable. One of the errors was thinking she is supposed to be fireproof, when her surviving the fire that hatched the dragons was supposed to be a one-time miracle. She suffers burns a few times in the books IIRC.

 No.28556

Matt's Acting at the start of ep 3 was so bad, what was that shouting for your enemy as if he was shouting for a friend

 No.28557

>>28556

Finished the episode, his acting gets better when he makes his proper appearance.

Ep 3 was pretty good.

 No.28560

>>28557
I liked the battle and the dragons are looking good. Overall i'm liking the show so far. Decent cast and plot and the dialogues aren't cringe though the smug princess is already getting a bit on my nerves.

 No.28561

It's a little distracting how much time skipping is happening tbh. We've already had a 6 month and 3 year gap between episodes.

 No.28565

>>28560

smug princess trope is charming ish for now until I assume she ascends to some form of power or strategy or something.

Second part of the episode with the entire battle and discussing tactics etc…was on epic proportions, loved every second of it and yeah the dragon are looking great.

 No.28566

>>28561

Yeah its alot of time skipping, but the character progression and change via time seems to be done decently? Obviously wouldn't be on par with character development done more slowly.

 No.28599

the Targaryen girl is ugly. can't fap to her unlike shota Bran, before his head turned into a pumpkin :(

 No.28600

File: 1662485661184.png (167.94 KB, 600x700, ClipboardImage.png)

>>28599
grinj

 No.28602

>>28537
>I actually think GRRM is kind of a hack in his world building.
Besides naming the western continent "Westeros" and the eastern continent "Essos" it's tolerable.
>the show was pretty much garbage after season 4, getting worse with each season.
Agree. Season 5 was tolerable if you ignore the Dorne storyline.
>GRRMs history is too riddled with great man theory, feels pretty nonsensical that you would have an ecclesiastic order try to overthrow the throne
I mean, is it? Happened quite a bit in history and the mendicants in the later Middle Ages were quite a revolutionary movement in times of the crisis of the 14th century.
>or some targaryen invent bourgeois notions of freedom because slavery is immoral.
Feudalism is against slavery to a large degree. Daenerys still wants to turn you into a serf.

About the Great Man Theory, come on, there are dragons which basically function as nukes. Obviously someone in possession of them would have a massive advantage.

>>28538
>so some of these complaints may be more from its translation to an HBO show rather than in the source.
Book one has pretty mediocre writing. Book three and book four is when it is best. Daenerys is someone who stumbled over a bunch of dragon hatchlings by pure circumstance transforming into an unstable teenage girl because she is like 13 when the books starts. She constantly fawns over manly men and throws temper tantrums. If she does turn mad like in the show, it will be much more believable.

 No.28603

>>28602 (me)
>if
I mean, bad wording. We both know that the fat fuck will never even finish Winds of Winter.

 No.28607

Well, definitely a downgrade from GoT but I like it. That action scene last episode was really stupid, where he just goes full Rambo and solos the whole army. But it was very cool to watch. Dragons are cool, battles are cool so that can go a very long way in papering off weaknesses of the plot.
It's not so much weakness of the plot but weakness of the characterization. Daemon particularly feels like a cartoon character. The king is well acted but it seems a bit hollow? Same with the princess. I can't exactly put my finger on it but all the characters seem like silhouettes.

 No.28609

>>28607
>I can't exactly put my finger on it but all the characters seem like silhouettes.
HotD is much more plot driven than GoT was at the beginning. GoT had a lot of scenes where they just establish characters or have them bouncing off each other. HotD doesn't really have that because they are so focused on the political intrigue and plot.

 No.28628

>>28609
Those things aren't mutually exclusive. GoT's first three episodes were like that because of over a dozen characters but became plot-driven very quickly. Plus we don't know yet where the plot goes, Martin is notorious for weaving many promising threads but then fails to coalesce them.

I believe GoT went to shit after season 5 because it wasn't just D&D's incompetence but Martin hadn't an outline how he could untie all of this. In his books, the North, Dorne, Mereen are clusterfucks.

 No.28666

Watched the first episode and it exceeded my expectations.Sure, the dialog could have been sharper but I like the slow burn. Aesthetically it looks much better than GoT (season 1 of GoT had a small budget), I like the princess, she's cool, Daemon looks ugly but he is cool, so far nothing I can say for the advisors of the king, I am sure we gotta see more of them. Cutscenes between the jousting and the c-section was well done and tense.

Surprisingly little dragon shit which I tend to dislike because it feels like fan service.

 No.28668

>>28628
>In his books, the North, Dorne, Mereen are clusterfucks.

They're clusterfucks, yeah, but I feel like nothing in them is inexplicable if D&D had read the books at all with any level of comprehension.

They (in)famously said that they wanted the show to appeal to football players so they took out all the complicated stuff like, uh, magic. Personally I feel like it's less that they wanted to appeal to that demographic and more that that's the level of their own ability to understand what's happening in the books. Martin gave them plenty of shit to work with and so even if they were vastly incompetent in what they cut, there was still a lot there for the rest of their team to work with.

But then when Martin's material ran out and they couldn't paint by numbers any more it all quickly fell the fuck apart.

 No.28669

>>28668
>They're clusterfucks, yeah, but I feel like nothing in them is inexplicable if D&D had read the books at all with any level of comprehension.
I agree. And to give it to the GRRM, he is a careful writer with attention to detail, he doesn't rush through a plot if it isn't entirely coherent. The problem is, while I think if you'd lock him in a basement with a typewriter and only feed him when he wrote a page, he could probably finish one of the greatest fantasy series of all time, but I think he is just tired. He doesn't really care for the characters anymore, he's been with them since the early 90s. That is still reason for criticism especially considering his attitude.

D&D seem to be failed narcissists (George is a bit of a narcissist too, don't get me wrong) - remember the episode where Littlefinger pushes Cat's sister out the Moondoor? "Only Cat" was the iconic line here but out of stubborness and ego they had to change it to "Your Sister". Also I think they didn't understand the subtle detail in GRRM's vivid, sometimes gross descriptions. For example in the fight scenes. Instead of describing how professional warriors fight methodically, D&D went for ninja shit.
>more that that's the level of their own ability to understand what's happening in the books
I mean they wrote Troy. That should give you a hint.
>Martin gave them plenty of shit to work with and so even if they were vastly incompetent in what they cut, there was still a lot there for the rest of their team to work with.
Yeah, butchering book four just because it was slower was a mistake. The Expanse, in which the original authors have full editorial control over the script, went on with a slower season four after an eventful season three. It didn't hurt the show at all.

 No.28670

It's cool that the king is a bumbling nerd who is too nice and plays around with a little miniature set of his family's empire at its peak. Outside of that youndon't really get the sense that this is an empire in deep decline though.

 No.28836

File: 1663000667762.jpg (396.5 KB, 1480x1610, criston cole.jpg)

Paddy Considine has grown on me. At first I thought he was a weird choice but given the (shitty) king he is supposed to be, he actually fits really well. He should feel out of place because Viserys is out of place and a bad ruler. I legit laughed when he said Otto taught him how to be king, like that was something to praise. That scene where he finally came to his senses and dismissed Otto over the obvious conflict of interest was well done. I was starting to feel like dropping the show tbh since I found it pretty mid so far, but I think I'll finish the season at least based on the strength of that writing.

The way they've been handling some of the other characters has been pretty disappointing though. Daemon comes across enigmatic even though the writers' comments suggest his motives and inner conflicts are supposed to be apparent to the audience. Matt Smith seems like the weakest actor by a mile IMO, but idk how much is him as an actor vs the directors vs the writers. Rhaenyra is getting replaced and obviously Viserys won't be around for long since she's getting the focus as queen. So we're relying on the weakest character/actor to maintain continuity there. Yikes.

Overall it seems like a bit of a rough start with funky pacing going too fast but there's obviously plenty of potential, and unlike GoT this show could definitely improve over time. They also have every incentive to make it as good as they can because they are trying to use this to launch an entire GoT cinematic universe. All I can say about that is hopefully GoT/GRRM learned their lesson and won't let bad decisions fuck over the whole project.

>>28670
I think the decline is about to start, and Viserys is supposed to be like the failson of a better ruler, a sign of society's decadence. Him being a shitty king has probably been the highlight of the show for me. The fact that he needed Rhaenyra to make him boot Otto Hightower shows his lack of leadership skills and decisiveness.


Replying to a post from the main /tv/ thread that belongs here, about the sex scene
>>28830
>it is amusing though reading reddit comments where everyone is like #girlboss.
It's even more confusing because of the age gap going on. If you had a situation like this in real life people would be saying an adult shouldn't fuck a teenager regardless of how horny they are (teenagers do be horny). It's not called statutory rape because they don't want it. It's because they're not mature enough to competently make the decision. (They do explicitly say she's of age in-universe though.) Of course she is also his literal boss, which makes it even weirder. I think there's an idea that somehow those factors cancel each other out or something, but that's not how it works at all. Two factors making the sex inappropriate just means it's more inappropriate. But hey, this is par for the course with romance stories. People love forbidden love, but for whatever reason don't distinguish much between stupid social taboos (a la Romeo & Juliet) and the ones that exist for a reason.
>i interpreted it as her kind of passing on the trauma of her uncle (not)raping her
Intentional or not, this is accurate. Kids who get molested can become outwardly sexual (to an extreme and disturbing degree) because it seems normal to them and/or they are trying to deal with this dimension of life but are too immature to handle their (intense and conflicted) feelings and uninformed about what is appropriate.

When watching the show, I thought that this was Daemon's plan, to introduce her to sexuality and make her horny but then leave her to do what she wanted with it (probably expecting her to go for someone in the pleasure house), but the showrunners said they wanted Daemon to be turned off by Rhaenyra not being submissive. They had some other confusing comments about his sexuality after episode 1 so somebody between the writers and Matt Smith is really dropping the ball on conveying what is going on with the character.

The whole way they handled the sequence was weird as fuck. The way they talk about sex at first it sounds like Rhaenyra isn't familiar with the concept? But then she immediately becomes a horny teenager after making out and groping for a minute? And then she's ready to have a "perfect" first time after hiking back to the Red Keep from Flea Bottom, not awkward or confusing even though she has no experience, it's with someone who obviously isn't into it, and it takes like half an hour to doff full plate armor? All of this in one night? And then she wants another round the next day? The show has been moving at blinding speed but you'd think they would at least have this amount of change for a character happen more slowly in-universe.

 No.28876

Bro Matt Smith is sooo fucking ugly I like Daemon as a character but why do they have to choose that guy to portray a supposed badass.

 No.28878

>>28836
It's pretty surprising that the chick who plays Rhaenyra (looked at her social media before, she seemed insufferable at first) turns out to be a pretty decent actress, although I think her character is written pretty well. Viserys is definitely the highlight of the show so far, Considine seems like a good fit.

Otto Hightower was also written decently, you think it's a good guy at first but it creeps up on you that the guy is basically an asshole who comes over like another Tywin ordered on Wish.

>GRRM learned their lesson and won't let bad decisions fuck over the whole project.

They booted him in season 5 of GoT and that's exactly when the show went to complete shit (although you could observe some problems already in season 3 and 4). With HotD (kek) it seems like GRRM has full editorial control as an executive producer and you can see it in much better writing. The characters actually talk old-fashioned instead of guys from the hood like what happened towards the end in GoT. It's not like we are going to see A Dream of Spring anyways unless someone takes over the books, so we might as well get a fresh start with a new show. So far it looks good and I am positively surprised that it isn't just "omg dragons" fanservice soyfacing which I feared and a nice slow burn.

 No.28879

>>28878 (me)
Also I think that massive jump back in time seems like a good decision after all because it allows for more creativity without being worried so much about continuity problems.

 No.28895

>>28876
Ahahahahhahahah i was thinking the exact same thing lol

 No.28910

i'm on ep3 and man it must be so awkward to have your bestie become your step-mother, like so creepy for viserys to do that

about aegon, what would happen if a commoner during that time, named their kid after a king too? straight up death sentence?

>>28876
i mean, it's a show about a royal line…

>>28878
why did they boot him?

 No.28915

>>28876
I don't expect a Targaryen/ Spanish branch Habsburg to look like a model
He is perfect for the job

 No.28919

>>28910
>about aegon, what would happen if a commoner during that time, named their kid after a king too? straight up death sentence?
Didn't happen AFAIK. Commoners all had the same forenames as royalty, they were called John, Wiliam, Henry etc. just like kings.

Not sure but I think it was a bit different in Asia, especially China, because Chinese nobility had "court names" so I'm sure there might be a problem if a commoner assumed that as well, depends on the dynasty though.

In the show you gotta remember that the Targs are not originally from Westeros so their names always stand out and it might be seen as offensive if another one just styled himself like a Targaryan. Viserys doesn't strike me as a cruel person though. He might be incompetent, but so far we haven't seen him commit any acts of cruelty other than killing a stag. In GoT Ned Stark killed a basically innocent man in the first ten minutes.

 No.28920

>>28915
Now that you say it, Rhaenyra isn't bad looking, but still looking a bit off as well. I wonder if the looks were important for the casting, we know that GRRM sometimes does fucked up shit like doing this intentional, but imagine being the actor who plays Daemon, being cast because you look inbred.

 No.28927

>>28876
>>28895
>>28915
His squeaky teenager voice bothers me more than his looks.

>>28920
/tv/ has been calling Rhaenyra "monke" which tbh is not inaccurate. Somebody even made a "my ancestor" meme with her and Daenerys. I have mixed feelings because it's mean to shit on people's looks but they do be looking like some inbred royals which fits the story.

>>28910
>i'm on ep3 and man it must be so awkward to have your bestie become your step-mother, like so creepy for viserys to do that
In Viserys's defense he wasn't exactly spoiled for options and Otto very much manipulated them into that arrangement.
>why did they boot him?
Because Dan and David are trust fund kiddies with delusions of grandeur who later fucked off and sank the show the moment Disney waved a Star Wars deal in their face.

>>28878
>Otto Hightower was also written decently
Yeah, so far I think they have done a better job than GoT at making the characters feel more "gray" from the start. It's clear they all have their own agendas that they pursue for personal reasons vs how Starks and Lannisters felt a lot more black and white. They are handling the politics a lot better. Where GoT was basically everyone had their loyalties and plotted more or less overtly against their enemies, here the relationships are evolving as the situation changes. Daemon and Corlys teaming up. Otto getting booted. House Velaryon playing with marrying into the Free Cities to get a marriage to Rhaenyra.
>So far it looks good and I am positively surprised that it isn't just "omg dragons" fanservice soyfacing
Well the show was GRRM's idea to begin with. He spent years developing it (instead of writing the books lol) before he pitched it to HBO. I would expect the other spinoffs to have more fanservice because they aren't his personal pet project. But IDK maybe HBO will see from this show that you don't have to pander. These few episodes have had a huge viewership.

>>28919
>He might be incompetent, but so far we haven't seen him commit any acts of cruelty other than killing a stag.
One of Viserys's biggest problems is his unwillingness to be "cruel." Putting aside the ethics etc of monarchy, being in charge of anything significant requires hard choices that not everyone likes. He is too much of a baby to take action that will bother someone and in the process gets more people hurt. It's like someone faced with the Trolley Problem but unwilling to pull the lever and kill the one guy because he doesn't want to look bad, so he lets the five people die instead.
>In GoT Ned Stark killed a basically innocent man in the first ten minutes.
That's not intentional cruelty though, that's being Lawful Stupid. There's a lot going on in that scene thematically, but a big part is to illustrate the decay of institutions. Literally the entire reason the Night's Watch exists is to guard against and warn people of the Others/(White Walkers in the show), but it's been so long that this has been forgotten. So when they actually meet them, the NW has no idea what's going on and the sole survivor flees with PTSD from the situation. He ends up meeting the Warden of the North, which in theory should be the best case scenario for delivering the warning. But because nobody remembers their history and the guy is too scared to properly explain, Ned's like "RIP Bozo." In that respect that whole scene/story is a deconstruction of the old tropes about prophecies and setting up a militant order to prepare for distant future problems (with not much to keep them busy or keep the memory alive in the meantime). It also illustrates very well how rules/laws exist for a particular context, and outside that context or if it is forgotten they stop functioning correctly.

 No.28928

Does anyone think the king and the hand look way too alike? I straight up thought it was a double role until someone pointed out that the hand is played by Curt Conners from TASM

>>28927
> would expect the other spinoffs to have more fanservice

THERE ARE MORE SPIN-OFFS??!??


>>/tv/ has been calling Rhaenyra "monke" which tbh is not inaccurate

rude
she is hella cute but yeah she does look "distinct" like a royal

her father looks more like monkey tbh, he has that frontal chimp like lip, jaw area

 No.28929

>>28928
I once read he was a "Homer Targaryen" and every time I see him I can't laugh at it.

 No.28930

File: 1663177528715.jpg (3.41 MB, 4724x4724, din557xccml91.jpg)

>>28928
>THERE ARE MORE SPIN-OFFS??!??
yes

>>28929
kek

 No.28937

asoiaf/game of thrones worked because the targaryens were mostly irrelevant at that point in the setting's history, and had a diverse cast of characters that were all unique and had unique interweaving stories in an extremely uncertain civil war
basically a fantasy war and peace
this is just standard costume drama intrigue

 No.28938

>>28930
the only one i care of those is The Hedge Knight because i like Dunk and Egg.

 No.28953

>>28929
YES, that's the thing he has with homer in common in his mouth region

>>28930
All of these are also based on GRRM's writing or…? Damn I wouldn't mind

Hope some of these are sequels to GoT
I want to see what happens next

 No.28954

Anybody else think EP3 the crabfeeder fight was lame?

Like they built up a villain as usual great, but the ending was just lame, and jobber shit

How did he even kill the guy, Just nothing

 No.28955

>>28938
there are two spin-off series, nice
i did not know this series dated back from the 1990s

makes you wonder what other books series are like GoT, just waiting to be discovered

I've never heard of the books before, were they very popular?

 No.28968

>>28954
Yeah that was stupid. Rest of the episode was great though, the hunt was really cool.
>How did he even kill the guy, Just nothing
The guy had a shitty armor, a fucking pickaxe as a weapon and looked like infected with the last stage of skincancer. Not too far-fetched that Daemon would be able to kill him.

 No.28973

>>28953
>All of these are also based on GRRM's writing or…? Damn I wouldn't mind

Hedge Knight is based on the Dunk and Egg short stories (I think that's what they were) by GRRM. The rest I think are loosely based on the setting not existing writings so much. They are stories that have been referenced in his books but I don't think they have material to directly adapt like with GoT or HotD. And the Jon Snow show is just a sequel to GoT without any material to adapt at all.

>>28954
>Anybody else think EP3 the crabfeeder fight was lame?
They didn't even show it lol. I thought the battle was kind of weak, like, why have they been struggling with this guy so long if they can beat the forces in a single rush like this? Felt like the writers didn't really bother making it make sense.
>How did he even kill the guy, Just nothing
Well based on the corpse he cut him in half lol

>>28955
The book series had a small but dedicated fanbase before the show blew it up. There are loads and loads of fantasy and scifi books out there that could be adapted. GRRM has written some of them lol. But you do kind of need something special to make a big popular show. You need good material to begin with, a team who can adapt it effectively, and a studio with the budget to give it the production quality it needs. It's important to point out that GRRM was majorly involved in developing both GoT and HotD for TV, because he was both the author of the source material and he has a lot of experience as a TV writer. That's a factor that gave these shows a big advantage.

>>28968
>and looked like infected with the last stage of skincancer.
This probably will not come up in the show later, but it looked like greyscale, the disease that people around Old Valyria have. It came up in the plot of GoT a few times, with a couple notable characters having it. It's supposed to be highly contagious (sometimes) so it's a bit odd to show Daemon touching the guy's corpse and then just forgetting about that character detail.

 No.29005

>>28973
maybe that disease caused the doom of old valeria or a disease that came out of it

it's so confusing that valriea is a place but also a people

targeryians and valerians have a shared history together, they need to explore it more

were they jealous of the rise of targeryians
did targeryians destroy valriea

 No.29006

HOTD takes place 200 years before GoT but I don't even notice any difference

What a bad time in history
Meanwhile our real world between 1917 and 2017, just 100 years and the technological progress is insane

Industrial revolution with dragons, how would that happen

Also

>Spending 30 million on a pilot and locking it away just because you didn't vibe with it


Capitalism truly the greatest accumulation of our resources
Children of the forest were robbed

 No.29008

>>29006
>What a bad time in history
>Meanwhile our real world between 1917 and 2017, just 100 years and the technological progress is insane
>Industrial revolution with dragons, how would that happen

Somebody gets mad at the dragon for spewing fire on things or people and blows up the dragon with a heatseaking missile.
Repeat that often enough and Dragons go extinct.

 No.29009


 No.29032

>>29005
>it's so confusing that valriea is a place but also a people
Valyria is the country. Valyrians are the people of the country. Valyrian is also the language.
Velaryon is the name of the black house in HotD (the other one besides Targaryens). Lots of the characters from Valyria have very similar names too. It's an aspect of fantasy that is cringe and GRRM should have probably not done.
>targeryians and valerians have a shared history together, they need to explore it more
In the books they also apparently were marrying into each other for generations which makes it weird that one family is white and the other is black. GRRM should have had the balls to just have the Targs be black when they made GOT. He did consider it.
>were they jealous of the rise of targeryians
They are a lesser house because they don't have dragons. Targs can control dragons because of whatever the special sauce is.
>did targeryians destroy valriea
There is a theory that this happened because they had the foresight or prophecy to leave before the Doom of Valyria.

>>29006
>HOTD takes place 200 years before GoT but I don't even notice any difference
Medieval stasis is a common but silly trope. At least there are some justifications for it in the setting however, like the chaotic climate fucking things up regularly. They are actually supposed to be in decline from the prior age of heroes or whatever they call it which is why there are so many epic castles and other structures around that nobody really knows how they were built. It's possible (kind of implied) that the random seasons are a more recent thing and might be the cause of the decline.
>Industrial revolution with dragons, how would that happen
Dragons are limited in number so they don't scale up like industrial machines. They might help you with primitive accumulation though.
>Spending 30 million on a pilot and locking it away just because you didn't vibe with it
Bruh the Batgirl movie was 90 million dollars and they deleted it for a tax writeoff lol.

 No.29062

File: 1663407322648.png (903.64 KB, 1280x720, ClipboardImage.png)

>>29032
Ohh that makes more sense
They're making a spin-off of them too, "The Seasnake"

>they had the foresight or prophecy to leave before the Doom of Valyri

that one chick who dreamed of Valeria
what did she know…


Yeah, Warner Bros is crazy with all this money, At least people got a job for a while
If I ever get a job with HMAX, I know to loot everything cause it's not gonna last

 No.29075

>>29006
Well there wasn't much technological progress between 700 AD and 900 AD, or in antiqity over certain time periods.

>>29008
In GoT Euron killed a dragon with a simple ballista. Episode 3 of HotD also showed the dragon retreating after a volley of arrows. I think the implication is that the dragons aren't that superweapon they are made out to be, it's mostly just Targaryen propaganda.

 No.29076

>>29032
>In the books they also apparently were marrying into each other for generations which makes it weird that one family is white and the other is black. GRRM should have had the balls to just have the Targs be black when they made GOT. He did consider it.
Can you imagine the butthurt if they made a black family ruling over a completely white empire? The cuckold memes on /tv/ would drop in the thousands.
>They are a lesser house because they don't have dragons. Targs can control dragons because of whatever the special sauce is.
My suspicion, also based on Visery's monolog in the first episde, it was probably that there was political debate in Valyria whether they should continue to breed dragons and Targs just went rogue and did it anyway, fucking the entire place up. Weren't they already exiled in Dragonstone when the Doom of Valyria happened?
>It's possible (kind of implied) that the random seasons are a more recent thing and might be the cause of the decline.
Yeah. It's that they never talk about the seasons in HotD if it's such a big deal. I am exciting to see some parts of the North and Wall, the Night's Watch in full capacity and not declined.
>Medieval stasis is a common but silly trope.
Agree. Europe had an economic boom between 1000 AD and 1300 AD, then feudalism went into perpetual crisis.

>>28930
The Sea Snake show could be cool. Don't care for the rest.

 No.29078

>>29062
>If I ever get a job with HMAX, I know to loot everything cause it's not gonna last

The Discovery merger is burning shit down as we speak. The GoT spinoffs may not even be safe (especially the animated one since the current CEO "doesn't believe in" animation or whatever lmao). There's talk that Comcast may move to acquire Warner-Discovery.

>>29076
>Can you imagine the butthurt if they made a black family ruling over a completely white empire? The cuckold memes on /tv/ would drop in the thousands.
Well, given the context that GoT is after the Targs are deposed /tv/ would probably think it was based. Come to think of it Dany would probably be seen as villainous by way more people from the start and her going apeshit at the end probably would not have been such a shock.
>it was probably that there was political debate in Valyria whether they should continue to breed dragons and Targs just went rogue and did it anyway, fucking the entire place up.
Interesting idea, but idk if there's anything to suggest that specifically.
>Weren't they already exiled in Dragonstone when the Doom of Valyria happened?
I think the official story is they left voluntarily but that could be fake news. After all, who is going to correct the record since Valyria is gone?

>It's that they never talk about the seasons in HotD if it's such a big deal.

To be fair the story has mostly taken place in the south where winter isn't so bad. Even the Long Night was a bigger deal in da Norf because it's much colder there. It also happened before Targs arrived (as well as the Andals and Rhoynar), so we heard about it so much because da Norf are mostly descended from the First Men who have cultural PTSD from it.
>I am exciting to see some parts of the North and Wall, the Night's Watch in full capacity and not declined.
Yeah supposedly this is the height of Targ power in Westeros and events that precipitate the decline so they will probably try to show off these kinds of things (especially considering the success of GoT and the immediate success of HotD means they will likely have the budget for it).

 No.29079

>>29078
>especially considering the success of GoT and the immediate success of HotD means they will likely have the budget for it
Finally HBO opening the purse huh? I bet it must have felt nice for GRRM to see a proper royal hunting party after he described it so vividly often and in GoT Robert's hunt were 5 guys walking around with spears.

 No.29080

>>29079
He's on record saying the 4 dudes innawoods hunting scene was his least favorite scene in GoT.

 No.29083

>>29080
He has a weird obsession with medieval opulence, royal hunts, feasts, weddings. Understandable if you look at the guy.

Personally, I thought the "Tyrion getting knocked out before the battle" was worse. Could have done that off screen without such a clear cop out.

 No.29111

New episode tomorrow, Any predictions?

I think there will be a ball

I also found that HOTD has a making of for each episode

https://www3.zoechip(DOT)com/watch-tv/the-house-that-dragons-built-87373.8946679

 No.29113

>>29083
> Understandable if you look at the guy.
lol, what would GRMM do if he existed during those times, Is any character his self-insert or extremely special to him?

 No.29116

>>29113
Lord Manderly or Samwell Tarly.

 No.29123

>>29111
>Any predictions?
They will attempt some kind of kino thing to show the transition from young Rhaenyra to old Rhaenyra because apparently this is the last episode with Milly Alcock.

>>29113
>>29116
He has said multiple times that Samwell Tarly is most similar to him realistically.

 No.29140

I can't believe daemon did that

He ripped out his shirt and started doing push-ups while some strange song played in the background that sounded like "haevesics, p-p-pop my phants"

 No.29141

File: 1663575401805.png (1.71 MB, 1920x1080, ClipboardImage.png)

>quips
>gets challenged to a swordfight with a kid
>LITERALLY FUCKING DIES SPEWING BLOOD at a bachleor ceremony traumatizing everyone

chad jobber

 No.29142

Bro I am not done with episode five but in that conversation Rhaenyra had with Laenis Velaryon on the beach, was that comment about goose and that she likes to eat that instead a remark about her not liking to fuck black dudes?

 No.29143

>>29141
I think the reason was that he didn't bring a proper sword. Look at that blade, that's a shortsword at best.

 No.29144

>>29142 (me)
nvm it was about him being gay

 No.29145

Watched episode 5, another great episode. Although I absolutely did not thought it is in character for Criston Cole to snap like that.

 No.29146

>>29142
>was that comment about goose and that she likes to eat that instead a remark about her not liking to fuck black dudes?
For real it did come off like that for a second. Between that and Ser Gaybash it felt like the episode was throwing a bone to the anti-woke crowd or something.

>>29145
Doesn't happen that way in the books. It's a tourney "accident" instead. They didn't want to spend the budget on another tourney scene and/or have 3 in one season.

 No.29147

>>29145
bro really thought his dick was better than the iron throne

>nooo i broke my stupid nerd chastity vow, marry me so i can restore it!!!

 No.29150

>>29147
His morals are a bit spookey, but him telling Rhaenyra to not be her side bitch was pretty cool. The show has some scenes showing that women far higher ranking than you can be abusive for the man. I mean their first sex was barely consensual.

So far how politics go the show has done very well to depict women's issues without forgetting that feudalism is shitty for everyone, including men.

 No.29151

Creston the Mad Cuck needs to be put down like the dog he is
I was joking but he straight up commited a hate crime

I feel bad for the gay dudes :(

Team Rhaynera for ever, I fucking hate Alicent and her team-up with him now and Daemon is just insane

>>29150
True, that part in the forest, he reminds her that she's complaining about her forced marriage, he tells her that anyone else would gladly switch places and his family's position

This is after all still a time where only rich people got to be fat and nobody had to watch their calories
People dropped dead from the oddest diseases

 No.29152

>>29150
>His morals are a bit spookey
Maybe, but the punishment he'd get if he was found out is very real. Joffrey badly miscalculated, not just by assuming that Rhaenyra/Criston was a similar situation to him/Laenor, but by not considering that his secret vs Cristons carry very very different weight for each of them. On the one hand he was arguably doing a gesture of goodwill. On the other, he revealed he knew too much and that he didn't realize the gravity of the situation and that he was a blabbermouth. Criston was definitely acting out of fear/rage/whatever but he kills him in the books too and it's probably the correct calculated move from the angle of self-defense/preservation.
>I mean their first sex was barely consensual.
He literally said no and tried to get out of it. What was he gonna do, arrest the princess he's sworn to protect? Btw this is a social context where rape is basically considered a property crime whereby a woman's "value" in a marriage transaction is "ruined." Consent is barely a consideration when it happens to a woman.
>So far how politics go the show has done very well to depict women's issues without forgetting that feudalism is shitty for everyone, including men.
I mean yeah as dumb as (lethal) fights breaking out during the tourney was, there were some thematic layers to that the way they intercut it with the birth scene.

>>29151
Everyone keeps calling him a cuck/incel but he's literally the opposite. Laenor is the one to get cucked. Criston is the Dornish BVLL. He just wanted to be more than the fuccboi because fuccbois lose penis privilege.
>I feel bad for the gay dudes :(
Blame the writers for burying more gays. His death was because he was an idiot, only indirectly because he was gay. If he didn't take a stupid risk without feeling out the situation/personalities first he'd be alive.
>Team Rhaynera
>picking teams in the GoTverse
asking for trouble lol

 No.29173

File: 1663645347343.png (3.3 MB, 2048x1366, ClipboardImage.png)

What is his endgame

Did you see the signature look of superiority with which he was looking at those suitors? He has everything planned out

He is the one who give Viserys leprosy

 No.29174

>>29173
I forget who are baratheons again? The fat guy who rebels against the targareyins and dies to a boar

 No.29176

>>29174
The guy who got stabbed by the kid seemed like one, since he had a stag in his clothes.

 No.29177

>>29176
I get why the rebelled now, What a crazy kingdom
Has there ever been a wedding ceremony/related in Westeroes that hasn't been bloody?

 No.29178

>>29177
A world like Albania before Hoxha, where blood is paid with blood

 No.29179

>>29123
>Last episode with her
Life takes gifts too early always

 No.29180

File: 1663651219457-0.png (159 KB, 571x629, ClipboardImage.png)

File: 1663651219457-1.png (64.77 KB, 310x372, ClipboardImage.png)

File: 1663651219457-2.png (208.93 KB, 1280x1408, ClipboardImage.png)

>>29176
Those guys were minor houses (Brackens and Blackwoods). Baratheons are lords of the Stormlands, right south of the Crownlands (where King's Landing is). The scene is in Storm's End, the Baratheon castle. Those minor houses are from the riverlands, another neighboring region (northwest).

house logos
>1: blackwood
>2: bracken
>3: baratheon
You can see why it's confusing lol.

 No.29184

>>29178
>Albania before Hoxha, where blood is paid with blood
I gotta read that Enver Hoxha book

 No.29215

File: 1663707092107.jpeg (36.81 KB, 600x610, welcome to gamestop.jpeg)

>>28486
Why is his neck so long??

 No.29227

>>29215
Because it's awesome and cool
cesseraxx is my favourite dragon

he also has some disability i think, can't remember what

 No.29246

im watching the making of and it really feels like the Sea Snake show is happening

they made so many props for him, it can't just be for this show

what do you think that show will be about? did GRRM write about him or is this truly be new OC of the HBO writers

 No.29253

>>29151
>Team Rhaynera for ever,
t. Ser Cole

Enjoy your smug Targayen princess. At least you got to fuck her once, now you'll be on a leash like Mormont the turbo simp

>get dishonored after she came home from some borderline incest sex action with Daemon in a brothel, high on coke

>Viserys, a nerd, but nonetheless wise ruler of a long-time stable kingdom, sacks his trusted advisor because he has a weak spot for females and of course for his retarded daughter
>Smug princess all of a sudden agrees to marry. Smug princess tells her future husband right away that she dishonored you and intends to use you further as her sex toy
>you seriously think this deranged person loves you
>you ask her to marry you, she declines
>not so bright bf of gay husband accidently tells you how fucked you are
>you murder him on the wedding of your mistress, ruining for Viserys this very important day
>seppuku yes/no?
>meanwhile, smug princess flirts and almost makes out with Daemon again, this time right in front of Viserys
>Viserys collapses

 No.29254

>>29246
>did GRRM write about him or is this truly be new OC of the HBO writers
He went on a bunch of fantasy adventures, hence all the trophies in his castle (shameless advertising for the new show lol). IDK how much explicit material there is about them, but I think it's along the lines of a mention here and there of this or that cool thing he did. So they'd have plenty of freedom to do what they want with those stories. GRRM probably would want to be at least a little involved. Anything not to finish the book series.

 No.29264

>>28519
Yup and this all began with season 5 because it's then when GRRM apparently has less and less involvement and it is in season 5 I think when we get that "prophecy" which isn't in the book I think about Arya killing the Night King who also doesn't exist in the books. Season 5 is when everything began to go to shit.

 No.29265

Speaking of the prophecy, the only really terrible part of this show is when they bring it up. They're just reminding us how shitty the ending of GoT was. We know the prophecy was stupid, stop trying to hype it.

 No.29268

What is Viserys 1's tax policy? What will Rhaenyra's tax policy be?

 No.29276

>>29253
why do you hate seeing a women slay?

she was my goat ever since she rode that dragon into daemon's castle and mogged him

that's a true ruler, wit and prowess

btw isn't ser cole now batting for lady alicent's team? or is he still pinning for her?

nvm don't spoil me

>>29254
>(shameless advertising for the new show lol)
shit i just realized that, we are getting played

 No.29277

>>29268
>visery's tax policy : fuck the peasents lol
>rhaenyra's tax policy: fuck the peasents lol
daemon's tax policy: fuck everybody lol

 No.29282

>>29277
Joffrey was a progressive monarch when you realize he was going in the step of a permanent royal army and raising taxes not only on the small folk but also the lords paramount a la Henry 8 or any of the early modern monarchs that basically consolidated most of their political power.

 No.29290

>>29282
>Be a medieval king
>Your lands have a rich history of chemistry and poisons
>Not having a meal taster
If he had gone with the tax reform since the throne was bankrupt he would have needed dozens of them

 No.29291

>>29264
>it is in season 5 I think when we get that "prophecy" which isn't in the book I think about Arya killing the Night King who also doesn't exist in the books.
damn I kinda forgot that happened but you are correct except they put that in season 3

 No.29294

>>29282
this is why the actually killed him
still the most fucked up got killer

why would you kill hot babes for no reason, just sadistic

i think he would've become like mageor the cruel
does reincarnation exist in GoT

what is the universe called

 No.29312

>Have dragons
>???
>profit

Seriously cool tho, I want to see his conquest adapted, and also robert's rebellion

The Mad King is so funny, Like he's just some crazy old guy in this epic line of Targaryen's doing cool shit

So the book this show is based on, All this is in it? Do you think they will go back in time to show us or will they save it for another series

I don't know who is enjoying this show more, those who know the lore or novice viewers getting lore dropped each episode

Also is Alt Shift X the best GoT tuber or are there more, I remember watching a vid about the Top 10 differences in the book and show video and it was hilarious, They had PNG avatars

 No.29313

File: 1663941350623.png (27.72 KB, 173x173, ClipboardImage.png)

>>29312
>I don't know who is enjoying this show more, those who know the lore or novice viewers getting lore dropped each episode
It's an excellent idea for content to adapt from a marketing perspective for exactly this reason and the dynamic between the groups. You get people cryptically posting about things that are about to happen (like which team they're on) that gets noobs intrigued and hyped. There's also lots of speculation about how thing will be adapted, because the premise of the book is that the narrators are unreliable because they are chronicling history that they don't fully know. I'm waiting to see this minichad.
>Alt Shift X
Yeah there's a whole cottage industry of people explaining the "deep lore" lol. I think the other big one is Hax Dogma but idk if they are following HotD. Alt Shift X seems to have the best production value with the visual aids.

 No.29317

>>29313
who is he
i hope he makes fun of daemon

i remember there was a funny GoT-esque parody internet animation that included a jester character

 No.29320

>>29317
Mushroom, one of two main sources about the events of the show. He is basically allowed to eavesdrop on all kinds of conversations because nobody thinks he's a threat, being a jester and a dwarf. His version of the story is the more scandalous of the two, full of claims about people fucking.

 No.29399

Timeskip episode today

 No.29401

File: 1664185236136.png (1.37 MB, 750x933, ClipboardImage.png)

This is a hard asf BTS shot
I don't know if the rest of the season will deal with the same targareyans or even some other house

But I hope they Milly Alcock returns in some kind of flashback

 No.29402

"Joffery" that baby is gonna die this season

 No.29405

I want that creepy metal legged fuck dead
I just realized they were his family he did that to

 No.29406

How the fuck did this happen to my man Viserys, Alicent was just some commoner, Now she holds power over his grace?

 No.29407

>>29405
Yeah, he made himself Lord of Harrenhall with that trick.

>>29406
No, she's daughter of Otto Hightower. She's nobility. Viserys should have booted Otto much earlier. This is all because of his ambition pretty much. He finessed Alicent into being queen consort and planted the ideas of succession crisis in her head. The marriage offer would have quashed the potential succession issue if Alicent was reasonable (or if Viserys had a spine since he could go over her head about it), but being used as a political tool tends to fuck people up. So Otto was the saboteur but the buck stops with Viserys for letting things get to that point.

 No.29408

>>29407
Fuck he really did that, They didn't show much of his relations with them, whether they treated him badly

It was so cold-blooded, seeing that hand pop out, Fuck

Tearing out the tongues on top of that, He's the evilest fucker in westeroes rn

>but being used as a political tool tends to fuck people up


Do you think the rat is making him realize how bad things are now?

I really thought Harwin was gonna live long with the way, people were talking about him
He was so handsome

 No.29410

>>29408
>He's the evilest fucker in westeroes rn
Pretty much.
>He was so handsome
Harwin looks like gigachad IRL, but he was too hotheaded and shouldn't have gotten the princess pregnant THREE times lol.
>Do you think the rat is making him realize how bad things are now?
Doesn't matter cuz Viserys has no spine. He would just keep ignoring it.
The rat is probably going to be important given how much they are showing it. Won't say why but there are theories.

 No.29477

lol the kid playing young Aemond posted this on his instagram and his mom made him delete it

 No.29478

>>29477
I feel bad for child actors

 No.29480

I watched some recaps vids and now it's feels very motivated that they ended both rahneyra's and daemon's lovers in the same episode, with the same fate fire
It's sad, but it's like they're planning to bring that "OTP" again
Also anything think it's kinda fucked that Layena just upped and dipped? Anyone women in that time would in that situation, but it was a little hilarious
Like if I was there, I would like just threaten the suicide by Vaghara until he promised he wouldn't go ahead with the caseran

I honestly felt like Daemon wasn't going to follow his brother, He doesn't seem to care about having heirs\
The dragon was so sad and old :(

>>29410
>shouldn't have gotten the princess pregnant THREE times lol

Those punches at the wedding to rescue her, Really sealed the deal for her lol

>but there are theories

There's a small footnote in westorosi history where the rat and visery's team up and he ratallouie's the iron throne with him providing him the spine to fight back

>>29477
Why did his mom make him delete it

 No.29484

They totally stole that scene with Aegon jerking off in the window from The Boys.

New actors are good. I love the new Alicent, she nails it. Kid actors are fitting as well.

They need to stop with the birth porn, it's getting repetitive. Yes, we know, giving birth is hard especially with no modern medicine.

I still get the feeling they deliberately want to appeal to an "anti-woke" crowd as they don't follow most conventions I've seen in shows the last years; and they are doing a good job. It's a show about powerful women struggling with their role in a patriarchal society but never once it feels patronising or forced. Fucking Ben Shapiro reacts to it on his show and likes it. Although I will admit, killing off the gays and the black women, and making the cripple depraved and evil, is an old TV trope I could live without.

 No.29490

File: 1664367000108.png (53.22 KB, 305x165, ClipboardImage.png)

>>29484
>They totally stole that scene with Aegon jerking off in the window from The Boys

More like Succession, Aegon is so much like Roman
A brat, in line of a big empire, doesn't care much, only does for the ego
Then again, all three are a bit same

But I'm pretty sure Shitlander did that after getting his ass beat or something

These two only did it for the thrill of feeling better than commoners

> the cripple depraved and evil, is an old TV trope I could live without

Very true, I was trying to insult his ass but I kept coming up with something ableist

I finally decided on insulting him based on his shoe choice

 No.29492

>>29480
>Why did his mom make him delete it
because he posted cringe

>>29480
>There's a small footnote in westorosi history where the rat and visery's team up and he ratallouie's the iron throne with him providing him the spine to fight back
lol but the actual theory (potential major spoilers) is that Larys Strong is a greenseer/warg like Bran Stark and is spying on people with rats and possibly with the weirwood trees.

>>29484
>They totally stole that scene with Aegon jerking off in the window from The Boys.
100% lol. It also appears to be the same window (or at least the same set) where King Tommen commits suicide late in GoT.
>New actors are good.
Yep, across the board. I was surprised how much I liked Laenor and his version of the character.

>I still get the feeling they deliberately want to appeal to an "anti-woke" crowd as they don't follow most conventions I've seen in shows the last years; and they are doing a good job.

I get this feeling too but I would say they are way overshooting the mark.

They did Laena really dirty by not even referencing how she got Vhagar, just the fact that she had to earn her. They even teased it when Laena was introduced (as a child that Viserys was not keen to marry), talking about Vhagar being missing and Laena's fascination with dragons. But they don't even discuss how Laena went on a whole quest to find her. And then in the same episode we first see Laena as an adult she dies. My one big gripe about the show so far is how hard a lot of the female characters have been getting jobbed. They also did Rhea extremely dirty, dying in the same scene she's introduced. These are characters who actually do shit in the book but they basically only appear in the show to get bridges dropped on them. With Aemma in the first episode it's one thing (especially since it's a major point of transition to kick off the series) and helps establish some of the themes, but it's starting to get tiresome IMO considering the book treats these characters better than "women exist to be fridged." It's largely a consequence of the show moving so fast and that character deaths like these are a major recurring plot point and therefore something you really can't skip. I think this season is really just trying to establish the broad family dynamics so that the rest of the series can flesh out the coming war.

 No.29497

What is up with all those bad reviews here?

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/tv/house_of_the_dragon/s01/reviews?type=user

Are those paid Amazon shills from Rings of Power or are people just this dumb that they can't follow the plot? The one good thing about HotD is that you have to pay attention and not have cheap exposition like in the first GoT episode where they literally introduce every character by Arya pointing at them. And I didn't even read the book and walked in blind, and could follow just fine.

Also, people don't appreciate a slow burn these days. Even though GoT also wasn't that fast-paced.

 No.29498

>>29497 (me)
Imagine being this bitter that you won't even give one star because something isn't up your alley.

There is even the occasional retard that complains about wokeness, even though this is like the most anti-woke show in years. When will those people be satisfied, when it's literally like Conan the Barbarian?

 No.29500

File: 1664415691731.png (312.97 KB, 591x608, 1397890212465.png)

>>29497
Filtered:
>There is no protagonist or antagonist so you can't root for anyone and eventually you don't really care what happens to the characters.
>It has none of the assets that made game of thrones compelling and a must watch.
>My main issue with this is they have given me no character to care about. None of them is sympathetic or amusing or witty or any of the many hooks that draw me into a series.
>No one really wants anything so who cares what happens?
>Clearly they are milking it and drawing the show out.
>My honest opinion is that while I was invested and did like the show I cannot support a show that hates me for my political beliefs.
>Apart of from the characters having the same names as the first series, the narratives have changed completely, without any completion or explanation of what is actually happening.
>Soap-opera.
>Succession, where Gulfstreams are replaced with dragons and castles substitute for office towers. Sadly, without the snappy dialogue, acting, or plot. It's inconceivable that this is the "better" of the two series HBO commissioned.
>Sitting around tables, talking about weddings and heirs. Boring and slow. What the hell happened?

Decent points:
>Second-rate characters die so quickly that there is no sympathy for them. Do we have to be sad about the death of someone who has seen 3 times in all time, and who has two lines of text?
>but show is rushed with the constant extreme time jobs every two episodes
>Too much replacement of actors to which they are already accustomed.
>From the constant time skips without informing audience, to unexplained cliffhangers or character reasoning lost in time just skipping ahead, to overall cast swaps

 No.29501

>>29500
>>There is no protagonist or antagonist so you can't root for anyone and eventually you don't really care what happens to the characters.
I've seen some reactions where people love the girl boss Raenyra acting like it's black and white and she could do no wrong and when Alicent is doing her queen mothering business they got triggered. Raenyra is at best equivalent to an incompetent asshole king that was Rob that made tons of bastards without a thought to the Realm. The best character in GoT: The Spider (in my opinion) would most likely side with Alicent as a person more fitting for the Realm as a whole. Obviously Alicent isn't perfect which is what makes ASOIAF a great series, but when it comes to the big picture she's better for the Realm. Raenyra just squanders everything the way Robert Baratheon squanders everything with his negligence.

 No.29502

>>29498
>Most anti-woke show in years
This literally means absolutely nothing. There is no such thing as "woke" or "not woke" that shit is autistic conspiracy brained garbage. These days "woke" only means black actors or women who do more than just be submissive cardboard things. I mean even back in 1977 Star Wars was called "too white" and we got Lando in Empire. And then n fuckin 1983 we got a much more diverse cast for Return of the Jedi even though they were relegated to just pilots in scenes. Would you actually call those movies fuckin woke? No dude like I said, there is no such thing as wokeness in movies or tv series or anything. In fact do you want to actually know what's one of the most woke movies out there? Snowpiercer bitch but no one goes out of their way to call it woke because no one points out the racial make up of the cast but the class criticism.

 No.29508

>>29492
>They even teased it when Laena was introduced
Very true, I didn't even realise there was going to be a pay-off

It was very cool lore building but they fumbled without telling us how she completed her quest

Why are they moving the show so fast, I'm confused

I thought each season is going to be about each house, if it's just going to be war the next seasons, they should slowly tend to it

>>29501
I don't understand how Alicent is better for the realm, They've shown nothing

 No.29512

They created so many props for this show man, I'm watching the EP6 making of and they half maked the books in the library lol

But anyone else think it's kinda fucked they mess with these real life old castles and change them?

Granted pigeons were living in them before but still

>>29502
Snowpiercer is one of the most woke? I mean it did focus on class, but I don't think that much

Can you expand further?

 No.29513

>>29508
>Why are they moving the show so fast, I'm confused

1st season will be the lead-up to the Dance, and the actual war will be the next seasons. They probably didn't like the idea of multiple seasons of buildup for various reasons including being accused of being too slow and not having enough material to fill 2 seasons instead of 1.

>>29501
Yeah the whole idea is that nobody is particularly good. People are confused about this because the TV interpretation of House Stark made them come across as at worst a very light shade of grey. Even Arya who becomes a murderous assassin is portrayed as yass queen instead of how the books makes her story about a child losing innocence, being traumatized, and recruited as a child soldier. The show really passed a lot of things through a "hollywood filter."
>The best character in GoT: The Spider (in my opinion) would most likely side with Alicent as a person more fitting for the Realm as a whole.
He probably would, because her son could be plied with lewd paintings into doing whatever Varys told him. Similarly to how Margery usurped Cersei's influence over Tommen.

BTW people are mad at Alicent not because of qualifications (which the show doesn't seem to care about that much at this point), but because in the last episode she needlessly inflamed the conflict. Nobody else in King's Landing gives a fuck about MUH RULES except sir krispy kreme. Rhaenyra was not coming for her kids, and definitely would have done the marriage to avert the conflict (which btw doesn't just endanger the nobles - wars of succession kill loads of commoners). Insofar as Alicent is willing to stoke a war over paranoia, she is worse than Rhaenyra. And the fact that she bumbled her way into enabling Larys to do a mass murder by arson makes her seem incompetent in a dangerous way.

>>29512
>They created so many props for this show man, I'm watching the EP6 making of and they half maked the books in the library lol
Yeah, the production value can never be faulted in these shows any more. We're a far cry from GoT season 1 where the "royal hunt" was 4 guys walking through the woods.
>But anyone else think it's kinda fucked they mess with these real life old castles and change them?
IDK enough about it to have a firm opinion but old castles are commercialized in a lot of ways that are probably more damaging than this. At least when they are being exploited for money there is incentive to try to maintain them somewhat rather than letting them crumble.
Should be noted that most castles do not exist any more because they were usually built form wood and have long ago rotted away. Stone castles (and buildings in general) were always the minority but are vastly overrepresented in the archaeological record.

 No.29514

>>29502
>No dude like I said, there is no such thing as wokeness in movies or tv series or anything
That's simply not true.

 No.29515

File: 1664469135314-0.jpg (34.28 KB, 622x501, we did it boys.jpg)

File: 1664469135314-1.jpg (56.51 KB, 720x720, yass queen.jpg)

File: 1664469135314-2.jpg (147.07 KB, 1200x1151, sassy drone pilot.jpg)

>>29502
?
Are you really denying the use of ostensible social progressivism as a marketing tactic? Are you new here?

 No.29517

>>29515
Marketing and what tabloids say about a film with a diverse cast are two different things. Annihilation was an all woman cast and never marketed as progressive despite the fact that it could've been easily marketed as such. Like I said, wokeness is a non existent spook.

 No.29528

>>29513
Was there a distinction between in nobility in stone castles and wood castles?

Also in the episode they talked about architecture of westeros, italian renaissance and middle eastern type build

is that how really how it is

 No.29537

The show is much worse than GOT but at least it's 10x better than Lord of the Shit

 No.29540

File: 1664545941232-0.png (492.44 KB, 570x600, ClipboardImage.png)

File: 1664545941232-1.png (702.24 KB, 800x534, ClipboardImage.png)

>>29517
>Marketing and what tabloids say about a film with a diverse cast are two different things.
They all exist in an ecosystem and have de fact become extensions of marketing departments. This includes randos posting their theories and hot takes on youtube or tiktok or twitter. All of social media functions as a marketing project, not just the actual ads they show. They're free to use because you are the product, having your tastes and consumer behavior be "influenced" by the content.
>Annihilation was an all woman cast and never marketed as progressive despite the fact that it could've been easily marketed as such.
And that highlights that it's just a marketing tactic. It's not small arthouse movies like Annihilation that studios want to push. They aren't going to invest a lot of marketing into a film that cost about 50 million dollars when they have projects that cost 300+ million dollars that need to make that back. The whole point of the critique of wokeness-as-marketing is precisely that it is cynical and uninterested in actual social progress or indeed proper examples of what it purports to promote, like Annihilation.

>>29528
>Was there a distinction between in nobility in stone castles and wood castles?
Yeah, it's a lot more expensive to quarry stone and to do masonry than to fell trees and do carpentry. IDK enough about the history to assert this as fact, but I imagine the gradual deforestation of Europe around the period also contributed to a scarcity of timber at times that encouraged building things out of stone. And of course there's the question of permanency and flammability. It was also pretty common for castles to have a permanent stone structure but add wooden extensions in anticipation of a siege or something. Picrelated.
from here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hoarding_(castle)

Another factor to consider is rot, and it was a fairly common tactic for even commoner buildings to have stone walls on the ground and upper walls made of wood, because that kept a lot of the moisture away from the wood.

>Also in the episode they talked about architecture of westeros, italian renaissance and middle eastern type build

Not an architecture guy but they have had a number of influences, and Renaissance Italy is probably the most obvious. IDK how appropriate it is for the setting considering the historical background of the renaissance and the relative intellectual backwardness of Westeros.

>>29537
GoT exists on a huge spectrum from good to bad, which actually makes it a handy scale for rating another show. I'd give HotD about a Season 5 on the GoT scale.

 No.29543

>>29540
> relative intellectual backwardness of Westeros
Is westeros really backward in INT points?
who's the smartest bloke that ever existed there

 No.29545

>>29543
The Renaissance was a revival of "lost knowledge" of classical antiquity, particularly Greece and Rome. Westeros is in the world's equivalent of the medieval dark age between the fall of the Roman Empire (Doom of Valyria and the end of the Age of Heroes before that) and the Renaissance or Enlightenment (hasn't happened in the show's universe). The loss of both STEM types of knowledge and magic is a central theme of the series. So it's a little weird to take inspiration from golden age periods IRL where this was overcome. There's plenty of aesthetics to take from the "high middle ages" too, but people tend to think that it's all drab and covered in shit because that's how it's often been portrayed. GRRM wrote the original books inspired by historical events like the Hundred Years' War and the War of the Roses, for comparison on historical context.

>who's the smartest bloke that ever existed there

IDK about raw intellect but Bran the Builder probably had access to the most advanced technology and magic considering all the things he created that nobody can even imagine how to build anymore like The Wall.


Unique IPs: 47

[Return][Go to top] [Catalog] | [Home][Post a Reply]
Delete Post [ ]
[ home / rules / faq ] [ overboard / sfw / alt ] [ leftypol / siberia / hobby / tech / edu / games / anime / music / draw / AKM ] [ meta / roulette ] [ cytube / git ] [ GET / ref / marx / booru / zine ]