>>2479>what does a drone add to that that didn't exist in the 80s
They need an eye in the sky, not a human in the sky:
1. Humans weigh a lot. Why not spend 90 KG on more fuel.
2. When you drop a human onto a craft, it suddenly has to be very safe. See NASA.
3. Humans are big, technology is small. Why have this empty cockpit?
4. Helicopters spend their time circling over lake squish. Circling for 2 hours is boring and may or may not make someone dizzy.
1. Portable solutions for Rural environments that lack CCTV.
1. Helicopters cost more than drones. They cost more to buy and repair.
2. Helicopter operators cost more than drone operators.
3. Drone crashes are cheap to repair compared to Helicopters as drones are tiny.
4. The bigger the grant, the fewer options there are. Any grant no matter how small can get you just one more drone.